Privacy at Abridge
Effective July 8, 2019
At Abridge, we believe that the health narratives we share have the ability to transform the quality of our treatment and our lives.
That’s a lot of power. There’s an old saying about what comes with great power…
Our responsibility is to keep your information safe when you choose to share it with us. This Privacy Statement applies to personal information you provide to us when you use the Abridge mobile application (“App”) made available to you by Abridge AI (“Abridge AI”, “we”, “us”, “our”).
This Privacy Notice is designed to help you understand your rights and options when using the App. This is an important document – please read it carefully.
- We collect information directly from you, while you’re recording or using the App, and some information from your mobile device.
- We store your information on your behalf. We use the data to provide you with visit transcripts and refine our machine learning platform to provide better transcripts in the future.
- You have some choices about how your information is shared with third parties:
- You can choose to share either your recordings, transcripts, or summaries with others, including your doctor or caregiver.
- You may also have the option to allow your data to be used in a research study, in collaboration with qualified external researchers.
- We will not sell your data to a third party.
We generally collect four types of Personal Information:
Account Information. When you download the App and register with our service, you must provide your first & last name and your email address. You may also input additional data into the App, such as visit titles, notes, or tags which will be associated with your account.
Visit Information. By recording a visit using our App, you provide us the audio you record, and all artifacts derived from the audio (transcript, summary, clinic notes, and other insights). You may also choose to enable device information use within the App. For example, your device’s geolocation can automatically populate which clinic or care center you’re visiting.
Contact Information. If you choose to share a recording, we will request access to your mobile contacts list (including name, email address, and phone number) . You can revoke our access to your contacts list through your mobile phone’s operating system settings at anytime. If you choose not to share your contacts list, and instead manually enter an individual’s contact information for sharing purposes, we will similarly collect that information.
Analytics & Marketing Information. We collect information about how you use the App, including your IP address, mobile device ID, click or tap history, and other web behavior information. This information may be collected directly by Abridge, or by our third party service providers on our behalf directly from your device or web browser.
In the future, we may integrate with other services to improve the experience we’re able to provide to you. We will always ask for your permission before we request data about you from third party services, and we will tell you at that time what data we’re looking for, and how it will benefit you.
We use your Account Information to manage and maintain your account. We also use your Account and Contact Information to safely deliver your Visit Information to you and anyone you choose to share with.
We process your Visit Information, including recorded audio to create transcripts, clinical documentation, and other insights about the recording subject’s health and treatment to provide you with the services in our App. Visit Information is only shared with you and anyone you choose to share with. You may choose to delete this content at any time (see “What are my rights & options?” below).
If you choose to share your Visit Information with others through our App, you can revoke the connection at any time within your account settings. Revoking the connection will immediately remove your connection’s access to your Visit Information within the App. However, be aware that your connection may have downloaded or stored your Visit Information outside of our App, and therefore it may not be fully deleted.
We will also use your Account, Visit, and Contact Information to respond to your requests for customer or technical support; to alert you of new products or services, features, or enhancements; to contact you regarding your use of the App; and as permitted by law.
Finally, we use your Analytics & Marketing Information to understand how our App, website, and service are used, test features and tools, and send customized marketing communications. You may be able to opt-out of certain marketing analyses and activities by emailing email@example.com.
We may use your Personal Information for any other purpose, including for a research study or collaboration, with your consent.
Use of de-identified information
De-identified information includes:
- Information we automatically collect from your mobile phone when you use the App, such as your device’s operating system, preferences you submit, and how you use the App (e.g. “clicks” or taps within the interface); and
- Personal Information that has been stripped of your Account Information (e.g., your name and email address) and other identifying data such that you cannot reasonably be identified as an individual.
We use de-identified data to perform quality checks, develop new products or tools, refine our algorithms and machine learning applications, and improve the App and the services we provide. We can use de-identified data for any lawful business purpose without any obligation or accounting to you. When we do so, we will take measures to ensure that the de-identified data is not personally identifiable and cannot later be used to identify you.
We may disclose your Personal Information for certain purposes and to third parties as described below:
With Your Consent. We may share your Personal Information with your consent in two ways:
- Within the App, when you direct us to share it (such as sharing with your clinician or a connection). You can revoke your connection’s access to Visit Information that you have shared using your account settings.
- Outside of the App, when we otherwise have your consent. If you’ve given us consent to share your Account and/or Visit Information, you can revoke your consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Service Providers. We may employ other companies and people to perform tasks on our behalf and we may need to share your Personal Information with them to provide services to you. Unless we tell you differently, they do not have any right to use your Personal Information beyond what is necessary to assist us.
Legal Obligations. We may also disclose your Personal Information at the request of law enforcement or government agencies or in response to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process to establish, protect, or exercise our legal or other rights or to defend against a legal claim or as otherwise required or allowed by law. To the extent possible, we will notify you in advance if we are required to share your information with a government entity. We may disclose your Personal Information in order to protect the rights, property, or safety of a user or another person. We may disclose your Personal Information to investigate or prevent your violation of any contractual or other relationship with us or your illegal or harmful activity.
Business Transfers. In the event we undergo a business transaction such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, your Personal Information may be among the assets transferred. You acknowledge and consent that such transfers may occur and are permitted by this Privacy Statement, and that any acquirer of our assets may continue to process your Personal Information as set forth in this Privacy Statement.
When we gather information from you, it is encrypted and transmitted to us using secure web protocols, however, because no data transmission over the Internet is completely secure and accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us.
We also realize that safety and privacy are not just about technology. They hinge upon the integrity of the people handling your data. Employees at Abridge AI abide by the tenet: “First, do no harm.” All employees complete privacy and security training. Only employees who need information to perform a specific job, such as customer service or quality assurance, are granted access to Personal Information.
Abridge is an optional service intended to improve the quality of your care.
You may opt-out of updates and offer emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in our emails. Note, you cannot opt-out of emails related to your account or the App.
You may erase recordings and associated information.
- Erasing recordings permanently removes them from Abridge AI’s databases.
- If you previously shared this recording with other individuals via the App, they will no longer be able to access it within the App.
- Erasing recordings will not remove or undo contributions already made to our machine learning algorithms or other generalizable insights.
You may uninstall the App at any time.
- Uninstalling the App from your mobile device will not delete your Abridge account, or any of the information in it. You may re-download the App at anytime and re-access your account.
You may also contact us at any time at email@example.com to:
- Receive a report showing what data we have about you.
- Change/correct any account-level data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you and your account.
- Submit any questions or concerns you may have about our use of your data.
We reserve the right to amend this Privacy Statement at any time. However, we will make every effort to not change it very often, and if we do make a material change, we will provide a public notice.
We will let you know as soon as possible if a policy change affects how your data is shared. If a change requires or permits us to collect new information about you—whether from you or from third parties—we will ask your permission before collecting this information.